Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Few More Words

I have this template open.  I'm ready to write endless words about my favorite player.  But I've already said everything that's running through my mind.  You all know how awesome he is in my book.  You all know I'd give anything for him to be on the Mets roster forever.  When it comes to any other player I can write about them realistically.  But when it's about Mike Nickeas, I revert to that excited 14 year old at Spring Training.

How can I not?  Mike Nickeas is the one who made my first minor league baseball game one I will never forget.  He is the one who sent me his cap because I wrote him a letter.  Mike Nickeas remembered me at my next Spring Training and every single game after that.

If it weren't for Mike Nickeas I wouldn't have gone to Fenway to see the Bisons this year.  I have said it countless times, and I'm going to say it again.  That day was the most exciting day of my life.

Mike Nickeas changed everything about my baseball and Mets fandom.  There were times I felt like I was only rooting for the Mets because he was on the roster.  When he was on the Bisons there were times I felt like more of a Bisons fan than a Mets fan.  It's funny to think a split-second at Spring Training could lead to so much.  He made being a Mets fan bearable because I knew, if there was nothing else, one of the players was an awesome human being.

I am never going to regret rooting for him.  For all the reasons I have already explained and for so many more I'll never explain on here.  But no amount of strikeouts are errors can erase any of the fun memories that came from his career with this organization.  I do know at one point he felt the same way.

There is so much more I have to say but I just can't find the words right now.  Maybe he'll end up back in the organization.  Maybe he'll end up in another organization.  I hate thinking he might not end up anywhere.

Whatever happens, it won't be the same.

I think I just need a hug.


No comments: