Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I Want To Be There

I had the chance to go to Spring Training this year.  I could have gotten the trip as an awesome 18th birthday present.  But because my birthday was in the middle of January and the Rangers just didn't lose ever during that month I decided I wanted a Rangers jersey instead.

I would give anything to make that moment disappear.  I miss baseball and I miss Spring Training and I want to be there and I just want to spend next week in Florida watching the Mets.  Last year was such an amazing experience and I want it all to happen again.  I want to see Mike Nickeas and Josh Thole and Bobby Parnell and Zach Lutz and Kai Gronauer.  I want to relive that moment when my favorite players turned into the nicest people ever.  I want to recognize the drills I do at softball practice happening during a Major League Baseball Spring Training.  I want to see the new players and have a reason to be excited about them.  I want to be close to the game again.

The crack of the bat.  The pop of the mitt.  The fresh grass.  The new uniforms.  The hope that comes with a clean slate.  Port St. Lucie is as close as one can be to that.  I want to be as close as possible to those sights and sounds.  I need to be as close as possible.

I don't just want to see the videos.  I don't just want to see the pictures, I want to be there taking the pictures.  I want that taste of summer during the winter.  I want the escape to my favorite thing in the world.  I want baseball.

Writing this is almost painful because I know I won't be there this year.  I won't be able to see my favorite players.  I won't hear the crack of the bat and the pop of the leather.  I won't enjoy the fresh grass.  I won't escape from the dark, dull winter.  I'll have to wait to experience baseball this year.  To get as close to the game as possible, even though this year I won't be nearly as close as I was last year.

It's Valentine's Day.  The made-up holiday about love.  Yet, the only people I want to be with are the Mets.

Maybe my parents will read this.  Maybe they will see just how much I miss the Mets and baseball.  Maybe they will understand that this has been the most stressful year of my life and I need this brief escape to summer.

It's unlikely so instead I'll go cry over what I won't be seeing this year.

Well . . .
Let's Go Mets!

No comments: