Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is

When I let myself get attached to baseball again I wanted to do so without the negative energy and despair that often comes with being a Mets fan and their Groundhog Day-like losing seasons. This year the Mets and Red Sox both got off to great starts so for a little while it was easy to simply enjoy baseball. Unfortunately, the Mets are now ice cold and somehow the Red Sox have not sustained their .890 winning percentage (crazy, I know).

But I still want to be positive. I still want to enjoy baseball as much as possible. I cannot control the outcome of any game so letting them negatively affect my mood is silly.

From now on I am going to pick out one or a few reasons baseball was good each day. Even on days when both the Mets and Red Sox lose, I will think about a Brandon Nimmo or Andrew Benintendi home run, or Amed Rosario getting a few hits to break out of a slump, or Blake Swihart actually getting a start.

This exercise is mostly for myself but if someone else sees it and is able to come up with their own reason to smile about baseball - that'd be pretty cool.

If I have a lot to say I will write on here and if only have a note or two I will probably just use Twitter.

I am going to end this post and start this activity with a picture I found while finally looking through an old memory card. It is from a 2013 Red Sox playoff workout during their World Series run and if David Ortiz grinning from ear to ear does not make you happy then you may be in the wrong place.

A post shared by Helen Elizabeth (@hesilf) on

No comments: