Thursday, June 30, 2011

I Can't Help It

I love when the Mets score 13+ runs.  I love how they have done that game after game recently.  Everybody in the lineup is getting hits and everyone on the pitching staff is getting outs.  It is just fun to watch.

Jose Reyes is still on fire.  Daniel Murphy is hitting again.  Carlos Beltran is proving all his doubters wrong.  Not only is everybody getting hits, they are stringing the hits together for legitimate rallies.  They are hitting ridiculous amounts of singles and adding enough extra-base hits.

R.A. Dickey has found his knuckleball again.  Jason Isringhausen is having quite the comeback season.  Jon Niese is growing into a nice pitcher.  They are working out of jams, getting the big outs.  They have not all been stellar but they have gotten the job done.

The best part about all this: it is all happening at the same time.  It seems like every time the Mets offense finally gets hot the pitchers cannot get anybody out.  And then once the pitching staff figures it out, the bats have gone cold.  It is so much fun to watch it all come together for the Mets, as it would be for any team.  But especially the Mets because they had been fighting to break .500 for so long and they finally did - and they did it by making a statement.  They are beating up on American League teams.  Good American League teams.  Facing perhaps their biggest challenge of the season, the Mets did not back down.  There is something very impressive about that.

However, as much as I have enjoyed this run, I cannot help the fact that I am bracing myself for when they eventually slow down.  If any team could teach their fans not to get too high about some wins, it's the Mets.

I want to enjoy this run for everything it is, I really do.  I just can't stop telling myself it will end.  I just can't help it.

Let's Go Mets!

No comments: