Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ask The Carlos and Sir Chokes A Lot

Carlos Betran signed with the Mets before the 2005 season.  The 2005 season was also the first season I really started to care about the Mets.  This is my first time really rooting for the Mets without Carlos Beltran and it is a bit weird.  I have had a love/hate relationship with Beltran throughout his tenure in New York.  However, now that he's gone I feel like there's a hole in the Mets roster.

I was mostly indifferent to Carlos Beltran until his great 2006 season when the rest of the Mets were great too.  And at some point the Mets had a roadtrip that included trips to Houston and Colorado.  During the series in Houston I was playing around with my Carlos Beltran bobblehead, asking it yes or no questions about if the batter would hit a home run or if the pitcher would get out of a jam.  Maybe it was because the Mets were on a good stretch and I was only asking questions that I wanted to be answered with 'yes' but the bobblehead was right every time.  Thus, Ask The Carlos came to be.  The bobblehead continued to predict things correcting, including a David Wright home run in Colorado. 

Sir Chokes A Lot shows the "hate" side of my Beltran fandom.  Yes, he had that horrible moment to end the 2006 NLCS but overall he was pretty "clutch" for the Mets.  It was probably my tendency to remember the bad moments that created the nickname.  However, it was another connection to Carlos that makes me miss him more now.

From a 2005 bobblehead giveaway to becoming the under-appreciated RBI Whore this year, Carlos Beltran will always hold a special place in my Mets history.  He deserves more than he got in New York.  Hopefully he'll get another shot in the playoffs this year.

Let's Go Mets!

No comments: