Friday, August 5, 2011

A Different Perspective

You would think I would realize this.  I should have been able to figure it out.  I mean, it is a concept that is clear as day.  Yet, it hit me kinda hard.  It made me think.

When I went upstate in July of course I went to a Bisons game.  It was fun seeing Mike Nickeas and Zach Lutz play.  And after the game I waited to talk to Nickeas even though he had already signed a baseball card for me before the game.  He was nice enough to chat with me for a few minutes.  I explained why I was somewhat randomly in Buffalo and I also mentioned that I was glad I got to see him play.  That's what lead to it.

I wish I remembered exactly what he said.  He mentioned that he didn't play well and possibly that he wished he'd had a better game.  It was true, I guess.  He didn't have any hits in the game and he had a passed ball (that could be attributed to the problematic center field scoreboard, though).  

It was such a quick comment that really wasn't meant to, well, mean anything.  But it made me think.  I didn't care that he didn't have any hits.  The passed ball didn't change the outcome of the game so that didn't bother me either.  I just enjoyed the fact that I was watching my favorite player in person.  However, hearing the disappointment from a player was something I had not heard before.

Quite simply, not getting a hit means the player didn't do his job that game.

It's such an obvious concept that I just didn't seem to put it together until that moment.

No comments: