Friday, April 27, 2012

So Much Can Happen In Five Years

It has been five years since I created this blog. Five years since I finally found a way to say as much or as little as I wanted to about the Mets. Five years since I started writing about baseball and ended up connecting with some really awesome (and some not-so-awesome) Mets fans.

When I started writing here I didn't know what to expect. I just knew I had stuff to say about the Mets and baseball in general and I wanted to say it. I never expected it to become much. Yet, it has been linked from MetsBlog and has helped me get into college. It has introduced me to my passion and brought me closer to what I want to do in the future.

This blog has also chronicled my life as a baseball fan. When it started my favorite players were David Wright, Xavier Nady, and Mike Pelfrey. Joe Smith was barely a professional baseball player. The existence of Mike Nickeas and Josh Thole would have been news to me.

Now I have not only grown attached to the Mets, I'm attached to their minor leaguers as well. Mike Nickeas, Josh Thole, Zach Lutz, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, and Josh Satin have all made it to the major leagues. Kai Gronauer has made his way to the Mets system and onto my radar.

Since I started blogging I've written about so many cool experiences. The Mets games where I saw Mike Pelfrey's first career complete game and Josh Thole's second career home run. Two trips to Spring Training that changed my baseball fandom forever by making me aware of Mike Nickeas's existence. My first minor league baseball games that showed me the sport I love in such a close setting that I felt like I could talk to the players. And at Spring Training and before those games I did get to talk to my favorite player and find out how awesome he is.

If I hadn't started writing here I might not have known about Mike Nickeas. The moment at Spring Training might have passed like any other excitement in a 14-year old's life. But it didn't pass and I wrote about and kept following his career and writing about him. I had a place to write about how awesome he has always been and how he exceeded any expectations I had for my first ever minor league game when I finally decided to see him play. I could keep writing about Mike Nickeas now and I could write about him for hours and probably days because I didn't know someone who is the coolest person in my head could actually be so cool in reality. I never would have known that if I hadn't darte writing here. If I hadn't had a place to tell whoever wanted to listen that he was so amazing.

I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't started this blog. I would still be a high school senior preparing to live away from home for the first time. But past that it could all be different. I could be chasing a different dream, trying to reach a different goal.

The thing is, I started writing here and I haven't stopped for five years. I don't plan on stopping any time soon. I love it here and I hope I can keep writing here forever or write somewhere bigger, spreading my thoughts to more people.

As much as I have done this by myself, I could never have done it without all of you. If you didn't read any of these words there wouldn't be much of a reason to write. Thank you for reading as much as you have, even if it has only been up to this sentence. I really appreciate all of you.

Let's Go Mets!

No comments: