Thursday, November 25, 2010

Xavier Nady

It's Thanksgiving.  Besides family, friends, and all the other mushy stuff that I am beyond thankful for, I'm also thankful for Xavier Nady.

I became a die-hard Mets fan towards the end of 2005 and throughout the 2006 season.  In 2006 my favorite players were David Wright and Xavier Nady.  I loved them both and never wanted to miss an at-bat.  I was ecstatic whenever the lineup had David batting fifth and Xavier batting sixth.  I'd smile with every pitch and cheer every hit.  I couldn't imagine the Mets without them.

My fandom was tested on July 30.  Xavier was traded to the Pirates.  I was upset.  I was beyond upset.  I cried.  After that I could've forgotten about him.  He could've become some random player I would never think about again.  But that's not what happened.  I followed the Pirates games.  I looked at every box score to see what how he did.  And eventually I started to like other players.  As unfortunate as it sounds, I became a Pirates fan.  I was still a Mets fan but I wanted the Pirates to win as well.  When the Mets had the chance to clinch in Pittsburgh my heart was torn.  I saw Xavier and wanted to root for the Pirates, then I saw the Mets
and I wanted them to win and invite X to celebrate.  The Pirates swept the Mets and I don't remember how I felt, probably because I didn't feel anything.

Xavier Nady and the trade to the Pirates taught me to love baseball and not only the Mets.  I learned about another team and other players.  I followed games besides the Mets games.  I found out I could be a die-hard Mets fan while rooting for other teams.  My baseball life has really only gotten better since the trade, even if I still want X back today.

That's what I'm thankful for in baseball, not only this year, but every year.

Let's Go Mets!

No comments: