Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I've Been Broken

Usually I am the one being positive about the Mets.  I love their minor league teams and players so I look at the good parts and enforce the fact that things will eventually be okay.  Unfortunately right now, I just don't see that future coming soon.

I had more hope before last season.  I knew for sure that 2011 was a rebuilding year and that I shouldn't have any expectations for the major league team.  I knew to look for success in the minor leagues, not necessarily in the teams as a whole but in certain individual players.  Maybe it's just that being a "New York fan" has caught up with me.  Maybe it is that I have become impatient and I just don't want to wait for the minor leaguers anymore. I have turned into a fan that wants major league success now and I'm too lazy to look more than a few months into the future.

Whatever it is, I don't like it.  I love that I became attached to players such as Zach Lutz, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Josh Satin, Mike Nickeas, and Kai Gronauer.  I hate that I can't bear to wait any longer for them all to have a shot to contribute in the majors.  And I hate even more that if they do get a shot, they might not actually succeed.  I love that I have found the minor leagues as an outlet for baseball and Mets optimism.  I hate that everyone else hasn't made the same discovery.  I hate that there will always be fans that only see the Mets signing players that are meant to be one year gap-fillers but think the Mets are simply stupid and putting their future in the hands of aging veterans.  I love loving the Mets.  I hate that some people want everything from this franchise but refuse to have faith in it.  I hate those people that only see the surface.

Believe me, I cannot wait for Spring Training to start.  It's the fact that I am excited about the seasons of more minor leaguers than major leaguers that has me almost dreading this Mets season.  I would rather see Josh Satin and Kirk Nieuwenhuis than Ronny Cedeno and Scott Hairston.

I see the future.  I am excited about the future.  I want the future to be now.

Let's Go Mets!

No comments: