Friday, November 23, 2012

Stuffing For The Mind

I'm still in somewhat of a food coma and combining that with the lack of a hockey season and the fact that I'm watching a concert of The Fray on TV, puts me in a weird place. But The Fray isn't totally irrelevant to my history with the Mets and hearing How To Save A Life reminds me of that.

I first fell completely in love with the Mets in 2006. I was only 12 years old and I spent a lot of time on the computer (some things never change I guess). I watched most Mets games on TV but I also followed a decent number of games on GameDay as I listened to music. However, I only listened to one playlist which I'm pretty sure was named 'MeTs GaMeS' or something similar.

This playlist was special. One might think it would have only baseball related songs since it was saved for baseball games. It did have Centerfield by John Fogerty as well as And We Say ... Let's Go Mets! (which I still know all the words too). But it also had How To Save A Life, It Ends Tonight, Slide, and so many other songs.

Those songs were part of my first full season with the Mets. When I hear them I still think of the nights I spent watching GameDay. It was with me that entire season, including when I became uber-emo preteen and listened to It Ends Tonight after game 7 of the NLCS.

Unfortunately 12 year old me didn't think I'd ever care about the original playlist and kept adding songs to it until it essentially contained my entire music library. I wish I knew the original songs on it. If only so I could relive some of the magic of that season again.

I guess I'll just sit here in my turkey-induced haze and file that under my first world problems.

I hope everybody enjoyed their Thanksgiving. I'm not really sure how this post relates to Thanksgiving but just consider it a little extra stuffing. In a year or two I'll probably regret letting saying of this, the way people regret eating so much stuffing for the month and a half after Thanksgiving.

Let's Go Mets!

No comments: