Sunday, November 1, 2009

"Boyfriend" Update


If you scroll down on the sidebar you will find a new picture of who I call my baseball "boyfriend". It's a picture of Josh Thole.

Now for an update of how he is doing for Venezuela in Winter Leagues. As of Friday he is batting .389 with a .404 on base percentage in 54 at bats. Wow.
UPDATE: He went 2 for 3 yesterday and is now batting .400

A lot of people have said Josh Thole should start the season at AAA next year. My head agrees with that logic but my heart says the Mets should give him a chance to start the year in the Majors. If he impresses in Spring Training and is hitting off Major League pitchers then they really should give him a chance to start the season in New York. I understand he needs to work on his defense as a catcher. Trust me, I know how important defense is as a catcher, at any level of the game. But Winter Leagues and Spring Training are a lot of time to work on defense. Also, if the Mets don't have a primary catching instructor in AAA then they really should have Josh with them and with a strong catching instructor. I'm not sure of the instructor situation in the Mets organization and there very well might be one in AAA, but wherever there is one, he needs to work with Josh.

I think there is a lot fear within the fan base that Josh is just another over-hyped semi-prospect and people want to keep him in the minors for as long as possible. But I say, give him a chance. If he really is as good as advertised he'll become a solid Major Leaguer.

Let's Go Josh!

No comments: