Sunday, October 3, 2010

That's It

The Mets lost today.  It was their last game of 2010.  A loss was fitting.

I watched the entire game.  All 14 innings.  I was not going to give my life to something for seven months and then miss the ending.  At the beginning of the season I wanted the Mets to have a winning record.  There were virtually no expectations coming into the season.  Their start wasn't great, but they played well through June and gave us hope.  Then it all came crashing down.  Jose Reyes came back only to get injured again in San Juan.  Johan Santana didn't survive a full season, yet again.  Jason Bay didn't perform like he has and was lost to a concussion.  And there was too much riding on the return of Carlos Beltran.

David Wright couldn't carry the team all year.  Ike Davis provided a spark, but the rookie could only provide for so long.  Josh Thole hit all year, but still only has a little bit of power.  Angel Pagan had a better season than could be imagined.  Mike Pelfrey and Jon Niese showed they can be winners.  Bobby Parnell grew into the future closer.  R.A. Dickey was perhaps the MVP.

It wasn't all disappointing for me.  The best thing to ever happen to me as a baseball fan happened on September 1.  Mike Nickeas was called up.  Mike Nickeas made his Major League debut and got his first and second MLB hits.  My favorite player and the one I'll probably miss the most during the off-season.

2011 will be here.  When it comes it will feel like we have only been waiting a day.  While we are waiting it will feel like longer than ever.  The Mets will be different but they will still be the Mets.  I will still give them seven months of the year.  I will fall in love and they will break my heart.  I will enjoy every minute of it.

Until next season,
Let's Go Mets!

No comments: