Saturday, October 2, 2010

Why Do Mets Fans Like Him So Much?

Xavier Nady became a favorite of mine in 2006.  His half season with the Mets felt like it was so much longer.  However, I was 12 years old and any time spent watching my favorite player was awesome.  I was also heartbroken when he was traded.  I didn't really have a reason to like Xavier, but I did and I still follow his career now.  What I find surprising is that other Mets fans have continued to follow him as well.

Every offseason since Xavier has left somebody has asked for the Mets to go after him.  It's completely unsolicited and I love it.  Mets fans have seemed to look for reasons to defend Xavier Nady.  If the Mets are looking for an outfielder somebody mentions Xavier.  If the Mets need a back-up for 1st base somebody mentions Xavier.  Whenever Xavier's teams play against the Mets Gary Cohen identifies him as a "fan favorite."  The few Mets that are left from 2006 remember playing with him.  For absolutely no reason at all he left a great impression on the Mets and their fans.  He may never be back with the Mets but he will always be a Met.

Xavier will be a free agent this year.  His season with the Cubs got off to a rough start but the recent chance to play everyday has shown he's still a good player.  He probably won't fit on the 2011 Mets but wherever he goes, I'll be rooting for him.

Let's Go Xavier!

No comments: