Sunday, April 25, 2010

I Like Ike

So, I wasn't that excited about Ike Davis.  Mostly because it meant the demise of 2 players I really like (Daniel Murphy and Mike Jacobs).  I also just didn't have a reason to like him that much.  I've gotten used to being disappointed in the Mets call-ups and had a hard time seeing Ike Davis as anything different or special.

But, now I know he's special.  He's Jewish.  The Mets haven't had a Jewish player since Scott Schoeneweis and they haven't had a really good one since Shawn Green.  The Mets haven't had a Jewish player that has really been identified as a Met since Art Shamsky.  Ike says he doesn't necessarily want to make his Jew-ness a big deal and he's just here to play baseball and I'm okay with that.  Even if he doesn't want it to be a big part of his MLB career it definitely got me on the bandwagon.

It's going to be hard for me not to root for him a little bit harder now.

Let's Go Mets!

No comments: