Saturday, September 4, 2010

I Miss It Already

Today somebody commented that I am the only person still genuinely excited about the Mets.  I don't know if I'm the only one, but I do know I still get excited about every Mets game this season.

Why?  Why would I care about the rest of the Mets season?

There are a few reasons.  One of them is because Mike Nickeas is here.  It seems like he'll get minimal playing time for the rest of the season.  But he's here.

I also care because I simply love baseball and the Mets.  It's already September.  It feels like it was just the beginning of July.  It honestly feels like summer just started but it really is almost over.  Summer is the best time of the year.  I can think about baseball and only baseball.  There's something about watching a baseball game on a warm summer night.  It's definitely my favorite way to spend the summer.

So, what does that have to do with still caring about the Mets?

The Mets will be the last remaining sign of summer.  They will play into the first days of October after struggling through the dog days of August.  It will be (mostly) the same players going out and playing the same game.  It will be an escape from school when it starts in a few days.  And it will be an escape that I will love every moment of because I know it will go away for way too long.  I hate waiting through the offseason.  I hate counting down the days until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training.  I hate it because it means I'm still waiting.

I simply hate the offseason.  I hate not being able to turn on a Mets game in the evening.  I hate being bored on cold weekends because there's no Mets game to watch.  I hate that I can't go online and watch every great defensive play.
I want to read game recaps and even injury reports.  I want to hear about which pitchers look amazing this year and who can't field the way they used to.  I hate not being able to watch something I know everything about.

That's pretty much why I will watch every Mets game for the rest of the season.  I know the feeling of the offseason and I just hate it.

Let's Go Mets!

No comments: