Sunday, September 26, 2010

It's Really Ending

There is a week of regular season baseball left.  One week of turning on the TV at 7 o'clock and knowing exactly what I'm going to watch.  One week of watching the Mets, not because they're going to win, but because they are on and they are playing baseball.

Then it's over.  For the Mets and 22 other teams it will be the offseason.  It happens every year but I just can't get used to it.  Every offseason feels longer than the last.  The nights without games.  The days with game-recaps.  Sure, there will still be baseball news.  There will be signings and trades.  It just isn't as good as watching an actual game.  Kevin Burkhardt won't tell us what R.A. Dickey is reading between starts or which hitting drills Ike Davis is doing to stay consistent.  He won't be sitting next to the dugout.  Kevin will be telling us about the Mets next GM.  He'll be sitting in the SNY studios.  It's simply not the same.

Sure, I'll watch hockey and yeah, I'll enjoy it.  I just will never love it the way I love baseball.  Baseball has been a part of my life forever.  Watching the game, going to the game, playing the game.  I only started watching everyday a few years ago.  That was when the offseason got hard to handle.  The everyday routine of watching a baseball game ends for 6 months and once I get used to it even a little bit, baseball is coming back.

I really don't know what else to say but this quote from Fever Pitch sums things up pretty well:
TROY: Why do we inflict this on ourselves? 
BEN: Why? I'll tell you why -- 'cause the Red Sox never let you down. 
TROY: Huh? 
BEN: That's right. I mean, why? -- Because they haven't won a World Series in a century or so? So what? They're here. Every April, they're here. At 1:05 or at 7:05, there is a game. And if it gets rained out...guess what? They make it up to you. Does anyone else in your life do that? The Red Sox don't get divorced. This is a real family. This is the family that's here for you.

No comments: